Jock Simpson

Jock Simpson

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

John (Jock) Simpson was born in Pendleton, Manchester, on 25th December 1886. As a child he moved to Scotland and played outside right for for Falkirk in the Scottish League.

Jock Simpson's good form resulted him winning his first international cap playing for England against Ireland in February 1911. This was followed by games against Scotland against Wales.

Jock Simpson joined Blackburn Rovers in 1911 for a fee of £1,800. The 1911-12 season began badly with Blackburn losing two of its first three games. Blackburn's form gradually improved and the team went on an unbeaten run that lasted three months. This took them to the top of the league.

Despite being defeated by Bolton Wanderers and Arsenal, Blackburn went on another good run and by the end of the season they had three more points than main challengers, Everton. It was the first time in Blackburn's history that they had won the Football League title.

Jock Simpson also played for England against Ireland (6-1), Wales (2-0) and Scotland (1-1) in 1912. Blackburn Rovers started the 1912-13 season very well and were undefeated until December. This was followed by five successive defeats. In an attempt to regain the championship, Robert Middleton broke the British transfer record by buying Danny Shea from West Ham United for £2,000. He also purchased another forward, Joe Hodkinson for £1,000. Shea scored 12 goals but it was not enough and Blackburn finished 5th that season. Edwin Latheron (14) and Wattie Aitkenhead (13) were the club's top scorers.

In the 1913-14 season Blackburn once again won the league title. Danny Shea was in great form scoring 27 goals. Edwin Latheron also did well that season with 13 goals. Both men also won international caps for England that season. They joined other Blackburn players, Jock Simpson, Billy Bradshaw, Bob Crompton and Joe Hodkinson in the England team.

The following season Blackburn broke the transfer record again when they bought Percy Dawson for £2,500 from Heart of Midlothian. Blackburn Rovers scored 83 goals in 1914-15 season. However, their defence was not as good and Blackburn finished 3rd behind the champions, Everton. Dawson was top scorer with 20 goals.

Although he was only 28 years old, Jock Simpson retired from football on the outbreak of the First World War.

Jock Simpson died in 1959.

The Rovers were overwhelming favourites to lift the trophy as all of their team, bar Jimmy Southworth and Jack Horne, were of international status. Jack Southworth, Jack Barton, Jimmy Forrest, Joe Lofthouse, Billy Townley and Nat Walton were all English internationals, while John Forbes, Geordie Dewar and Henry Campbell had represented Scotland.

The rovers looked immaculate when they took to the field, being attired in white dress shirts that had been hastily acquired from a London outfitters once it was realised that Sheffield would be turning out in blue jerseys. Prior to the match a representative of the Blackburn Times spoke to someone who had been in the dressing room area and he had reported that while the Rovers players were singing and laughing the men from Sheffield were fraught with nerves. He predicted an easy victory for the Rovers and so it turned out. Billy Townley was undoubtedly the star of the show and he became the first man to score a hat-trick in the FA Cup Final as the Rovers romped to a 6-1 win.

It was generally agreed that Blackburn had a little too much FA Cup experience for Wednesday, for whom Morley, Brayshaw, Mumford and Bennett performed splendidly. However, the Blackburn side had given one of the finest exhibitions of attacking football in an FA Cup Final, with England internationals, Walton, Townley, Lofthouse and John Southworth at the peak of their form.

O.J. Simpson trial

Our editors will review what you’ve submitted and determine whether to revise the article.

O.J. Simpson trial, criminal trial of former college and professional gridiron football star O.J. Simpson, who was acquitted in 1995 of the murder of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman. It was one of the most notorious criminal trials in American history.

On the night of June 12, 1994, Simpson’s ex-wife and Goldman were stabbed to death outside her condominium in Los Angeles, and Simpson quickly became the prime suspect. Rather than surrender to police after being notified of impending charges, on June 17 Simpson hid in the back of a sport-utility vehicle driven by his friend A.C. Cowlings. After being told that Simpson had a gun to his own head, law-enforcement officers followed the vehicle at low speeds for more than an hour. The attempted “escape” was televised live nationally—seen by an estimated 95 million viewers—and hundreds of Simpson’s fans lined the streets in support of him. It ended at Simpson’s home in Brentwood, California, where he was placed under arrest and taken into police custody.

Simpson was formally arraigned on July 22, 1994, entering a plea of not guilty. The trial began on January 24, 1995, with Lance Ito as the presiding judge. The Los Angeles district attorney’s office, led by Marcia Clark and Christopher Darden, emphasized the domestic violence that had occurred prior to and after the Simpsons’ 1992 divorce as a motive for the murders. The attorneys representing Simpson, known as the “Dream Team,” included F. Lee Bailey, Robert Blasier, Shawn Chapman Holley, Robert Shapiro, and Alan Dershowitz Johnnie Cochran later became the defense team’s lead attorney. The Simpson defense was based largely on the grounds that evidence had been mishandled and that many members of the Los Angeles police department were racist, particularly Mark Fuhrman, a detective who allegedly found a bloody leather glove at Simpson’s home. The defense team argued that the glove could not have been Simpson’s, because it appeared too small for his hand when he tried it on in the courtroom. In addition to the glove, the defense claimed that other important evidence had been planted by the police to frame Simpson. During the trial, which lasted more than eight months, some 150 witnesses testified, though Simpson did not take the stand.

Many cable television networks devoted long stretches of time to speculation about the case and to public opinion of it. Belief in Simpson’s innocence or guilt was divided largely along racial lines, with a majority of African Americans in support of Simpson and most white Americans believing in his guilt. Millions watched the television proceedings of the trial throughout the day, and the major figures involved in the case became instant celebrities.

On October 2, 1995, the jury finally began deliberating and reached a verdict in less than four hours. Ito, however, delayed the announcement until the following day. On October 3 Simpson was found not guilty of the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman. After the verdict, polls of public opinion continued to break down along racial lines. Whites were largely dismayed by the jury’s decision, whereas the majority of African Americans supported it, seeing Simpson’s acquittal as a victory in a legal system that systematically discriminated against blacks.

Although Simpson was acquitted in the criminal case, he was also sued by the victims’ families for wrongful death, and the civil trial began in October 1996. Less than four months later, that jury found him responsible for the deaths of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman and awarded their families $33.5 million in damages.

The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica This article was most recently revised and updated by Adam Augustyn, Managing Editor, Reference Content.

The day O.J. Simpson stopped two of history’s greatest sports moments

There was so much to look forward to.

It was Friday, a warm and picturesque day on the brink of summer. It was a day for things that had never been seen, a day where imaginations would not be needed. It was a day built upon decades of anticipation, a day that would provide memories that could stretch even longer.

And then came the event no one could see coming.

In Pennsylvania, Arnold Palmer was playing his final round at the US Open. In Chicago and Dallas, the world’s biggest sporting event — the World Cup — would be played on American soil for the first time.

And in Manhattan, there was a familiar feeling — New York was bigger than the world.

At 11:45 a.m., the Rangers would be honored with a parade, celebrating their first Stanley Cup title in 54 years.

“I probably remember that day more than the rest of the playoffs,” said defenseman Jeff Beukeboom. “It’s etched in my mind.”

That night, the Knicks would host Game 5 of the NBA Finals against the Rockets, in position to pull within one win of their first championship in 21 years.

“I remember so many things about that day, but so little about the game,” said Jason Lewis, a Knicks fan in attendance at Madison Square Garden.

Twenty years ago, moments slotted for permanent storage in many minds became footnotes to a television experience shared like the first moon landing, with wonder and pride replaced by a shock that strangled the country into submissive viewing.

That morning, Adam Graves was riding a Metro-North train from White Plains into the city, not wanting to sit in the traffic guaranteed to fill the streets.

“When we got on, our car was empty and within a couple stops it was full, and it was shaking back and forth and everyone was singing,” the Rangers forward said. “That’s probably one of my favorite memories, hundreds of Rangers fans on the train just telling stories, and talking and cheering and singing. It was fantastic.”

The Knicks were shooting around at the Garden when the Rangers gathered at the site of their ultimate triumph, to head downtown. The Knicks saw how it could be.

“I can still remember [Rangers coach] Mike Keenan barreling down the hallway between the coach’s office and the locker room on a motorcycle, flying through the hallway at 30 miles per hour,” said Jeff Van Gundy, then a Knicks assistant coach. “It was incredible. The joy on all their faces, it was really special. … Watching that parade after our morning practice was a thrill for all of us. We were hoping to repeat it a week or so later.”

New York Rangers captain Mark Messier, joined by other members of the team, holds the Stanley Cup during the team’s victory parade in New York Friday, June 17, 1994. AP

Before the evening showed the troubling and bewildering sight of highway overpasses filled with people supporting a man who appeared guilty of murder, an estimated 1.5 million people packed downtown Manhattan to celebrate a group worthy of their adulation.

In New York’s first team parade since the 1986 Mets, the Rangers rode up Broadway through the Canyon of Heroes toward City Hall, with shredded computer paper ably doubling as confetti, falling from the surrounding skyscrapers, as various Rangers hoisted the Cup.

“I’m a bit of a history fan and I remember seeing the D-Day parades,” Beukeboom said. “I basically was in awe of the fact that I’m doing what these veterans got to do when the war ended in the ’40s. That was inspirational for me.

“I’ve got pictures at home. I can’t believe I had the ability to go down Broadway and have people cheer me on. I thought that was amazing.”

At 3 p.m. Eastern time, Germany and Bolivia kicked off the World Cup, but by then, the world’s biggest event had become an ant standing next to the Loch Ness Monster.

An hour earlier, Simpson had failed to surrender himself to the LAPD as scheduled, and nine minutes later, a warrant was issued for his arrest on charges of murder — one day after the funerals of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman.

Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman were found murdered in Los Angeles on June 12, 1994. AP

The man forever smiling in the spotlight — winning the Heisman Trophy at USC, becoming the NFL’s first 2,000-yard running back in a Hall of Fame career, starring in Hertz commercials, working as a TV analyst, appearing in the “Naked Gun” trilogy — was nowhere to be found.

At 8 p.m. Eastern time, attorney Robert Shapiro met with the media, pleading for Simpson to turn himself in, and friend Robert Kardashian read a letter from Simpson, widely interpreted as a suicide note:

“I think of my life and feel I’ve done most of the right things. So why do I end up like this? I can’t go on. No matter what the outcome, people will look and point. I can’t take that. I can’t subject my children to that. This way, they can move on and go on with their lives … Don’t feel sorry for me. I’ve had a great life, great friends. Please think of the real O.J. and not this lost person. Thanks for making my life special. I hope I helped yours. Peace and love, O.J.”

At 9:45 p.m., Simpson’s white Ford Bronco was spotted on the 405 Interstate, with former teammate Al Cowlings (“You know who [he is], dammit!”) behind the wheel and Simpson in the back, holding a gun to his head.

O.J. Simpson and Nicole Brown in 1989 Ron Galella/Getty Images

The image is burned in memories forever — the Bronco crawling down the highway, with more than a dozen police vehicles in low-speed pursuit and even more helicopters overhead, capturing the chaos for an insatiable audience.

Roughly 3,000 miles away, as the second quarter of the most important Knicks game in more than two decades continued, the nation couldn’t move. Patrick Ewing and Hakeem Olajuwon were afterthoughts, even at the Garden, as courtside seats became less valuable than prime position at the concourse concessions.

A day that began with so many possibilities looked as if it might provide an ending that just didn’t seem possible.

“I remember going to the bathroom and walking past the concessions and seeing a TV and it wasn’t showing the game, which was weird. It just looked like a boring highway and there was a white car,” said Lewis, then a 15-year-old sitting in the 400-level seats. “There was no volume, but we soon knew what was going on. I went back to the seats and told my dad, loud enough so that everyone could hear, ‘They found O.J.! He’s getting chased down the highway!’

“It was maybe a minute or two before halftime and then there was an exodus, where the whole section ran down the stairs. Hundreds of people were huddled in front of the concession stands, yelling at the TV. That just consumed the second half of the game.”

Members of the news media watch live television coverage of O.J. Simpson being driven on Los Angeles freeways during Game 5 of the NBA finals Friday night, June 17, 1994, at New York’s Madison Square Garden. AP

Fans at the arena had a choice. Fans at home were given the game in a small box occupying less than one-quarter of their television screens, the Finals were now nothing more than an inconvenience and annoyance to NBC, which had signed an exclusive deal one year earlier to broadcast the NBA for $187.5 million per year. It was the least-watched Finals game since the tape-delayed games of the early 1980s.

O.J. Simpson (center) stands handcuffed during his booking on murder charges in Los Angeles on June 17, 1994. AP

Juxtaposed were the highest of hopes with the worst fears. Legends in the making played beside an American icon’s destruction. The Knicks were on their way to making their past failures irrelevant. Simpson was doing the same to past glories.

Though the situation didn’t affect the players, it didn’t go unnoticed. Even in the biggest game of nearly each player’s career — in a series tied, 2-2 — the disarming number of empty seats was evident.

“There was a different feeling in the building. You didn’t have the unbridled passion and fervor that typically a game like that would bring about, and then you figure out why,” said Greg Anthony, then a Knicks guard and now CBS Sports’ lead college basketball analyst. “There were conversations going on during the game amongst the players as to what was actually happening, but that story was just breaking. People were just starting to think that possibly he could be guilty of doing something like that.

“The guys were absolutely cognizant and aware of it, but we weren’t distracted by it. It was easy to focus on what we had to focus on. It was just weird that everybody in that environment wasn’t focused on it.”

After 75 minutes, the chase was over.

New York Knicks forward Anthony Mason dunks the ball ahead of Houston Rockets forward Otis Thorpe during the fourth quarter of Game 5 of the NBA Finals at Madison Square Garden on Friday, June 17, 1994. AP

As midnight in New York approached, Simpson finally surrendered and the Knicks were one win from an NBA championship, following a phenomenal defensive effort and a 91-84 win, with Anthony Mason scoring 17 points off the bench and Ewing posting 25 points, 12 rebounds and eight blocks, tying an NBA Finals record.

Another party was about to be planned.

“It would’ve been beautiful, a parade following a parade,” Mason said. “It was a dream come true, as far as opportunity goes. Some people never even get that opportunity.”

Lewis said, “We walked out of that building, the entire arena pounding on the railing, everybody chanting at the same time: ‘Knicks in 6!’ It was the coolest thing in the world. It was a high I never felt before. There was no doubt in anybody’s mind that we weren’t going to go to Houston and win one of those games.”

Olajuwon had not yet blocked a scorching John Starks championship-winning shot at the end of Game 6. Starks’ career-defining 2-for-18 performance in Game 7 was still days away.

The Rangers didn’t know the 54-year drought had just begat a new 20-year stretch. Colombia, a World Cup favorite, still had a tournament to look forward to, and its captain, Andres Escobar, a life after that, unaware he’d be murdered in two weeks after scoring an own goal against the US.

The day was over and no one knew anything, really.

“It was too quick,” Rangers legend Stephane Matteau said. “I remember it being crazy, but it was too quick.”

Jock Simpson - History

Like this gallery?
Share it:

And if you liked this post, be sure to check out these popular posts:

Like this gallery?
Share it:

Though we may not often think it, crime scene photography plays an important role in documenting history. These portraits are bloody, gruesome, even stomach-churning, but they also open a seldom-seen window into what life was like at the time.

Throughout a large portion of the 20th century in New York City, for example, organized crime ruled the streets of many of the city's neighborhoods. And while the grisly stories of mob murders help reveal what those crime-ridden streets were like, the photos of those crime scenes truly bring the past to life.

Perhaps no crime scene photographer captured these horrors as well as Arthur Fellig, better known as Weegee. A Ukrainian immigrant who came to the United States at 10 and quit school at 14 to become a freelance photographer, Weegee soon made a name for himself as the go-to crime scene photographer in New York.

He seemed to have a sixth sense about when and where a crime was going to take place and always seemed to be the first on the scene. Of course, it turned out that Weegee didn't actually possess any superhuman abilities, just a police scanner. Nevertheless, his photographs of New York City murders, suicides, fires, and so much more remain legendary to this day.

Through it all, Weegee's twisted sense of humor also helped cement his iconic status. In 1936, he arrived at a crime scene to photograph a dead man whose body had been stuffed into a trunk. For obvious reasons, the photo was too graphic to be printed in a newspaper, so Weegee decided to employ a bit of dark humor for his shot: He snapped a shot of himself looking into the trunk, which took the focus of the photo off of the mutilated body and placed it on himself and made the audience feel as if they were behind the lens themselves.

Whether Weegee was involved or not, plenty of history's most evocative crime scene photos come with macabre little stories just like these. And some of these photos come with macabre stories of a much larger scale.

Take, for example, the infamous photos of an entire row of bodies lined up along a wall and riddled with bullets in a Chicago garage on Feb. 14, 1929. These photos are not only gruesomely striking in their own right, they are also a glimpse at the aftermath of perhaps the most notorious gangland slaying in American history. Known as the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, the hit saw gunmen employed by Al Capone round up and slaughter seven members of the rival North Side Gang.

Then there's the photo of Joseph Rosen, gunned down in his candy store on September 13, 1936, in Brooklyn. The photo itself is bloody -- as is the bloody story associated with it. After police were able to link the brutal slaying to gangster Louis "Lepke" Buchalter, Rosen's murder set off a chain of events that would cause the downfall of the most fearsome and lethal ring of hitmen in New York's history: Lepke's Murder Inc.

But whether such stories lurk behind these photos, vintage crime scene images remain a powerful window into the past. And especially when they're brought to life in stunning color, they can transport us back to another time and show us what the city streets were once like in all their grisly glory.

See for yourself in the gallery of colorized vintage crime scene photos -- whether New York or elsewhere, whether gangland or other -- above.

After seeing these vintage crime scene photos, take a look at colorized photos that bring century-old New York to life. Then, see some truly haunting murder scenes from the streets of old New York. Finally, learn the stories of some of the most infamous murders of all time.

Odebolt History Blog

Former Odebolt resident, Jack Simpson passed away March 4, 2020 at the age of 93. He was a big part of the Odebolt community while he lived there, as was his wife Joan. They ran Singers Department Store, and Jack was post master, belonged to many Odebolt organizations and served on many boards.

I looked in the on-line Odebolt Newspaper Archive and found this article from Odebolt's newspaper, The Chronicle.

Below is Jack's obituary, taken from Farber & Otteman's on-line obituary archive

Jack Simpson, youngest son of Murel and Pearl (Cleveland) Simpson was born on a farm near Sac City on June 2, 1926. He passed away at the age of 93 on Wednesday, March 4, 2020, at Loring Hospital in Sac City.

Jack grew up in and around Sac City, graduating from Sac City Public School in 1944. He participated in athletics in high school, but track was his real love. He became the 100 yard dash champion of the State of Iowa in 1944. During the summer of 1944 he entered the United States Army serving two years and was discharged as an Army Sergeant.

In the fall of 1946 he enrolled at the University of Iowa to continue his education and participation in track. He became the first freshman to lead the team in scoring and was elected Captain of the team. He won four major letters while participating in track and became the first track athlete to accomplish this at the University of Iowa. He received a Bachelor of Science Degree at the University in June of 1950.

Jack and his wife operated a retail store in Odebolt for twenty-five years. He went to work in the Odebolt Post Office in 1959 and continued working there until his retirement in 1987, retiring from the position of Postmaster.

On August 22, 1948, Jack married Joan Schwitzer in Sac City. To this union were born five children. Their second child, Vickie Marie was born in 1951 and passed away in 1953. Their youngest son, John, passed away in 2001. Those remaining to mourn his passing include his wife Joan of Sac City sons: Tom (Mary Kay) Simpson of Colorado, Greg Simpson of Salina, KS, daughter, Deborah (Doug) Haase of Denison, IA eight grandchildren: Jessica, Kristin, Emily, Brandy, Wade, Colby, Emma and Jack eleven great-grandchildren: and one great-great grandchild extended family members and many friends.

Jack was preceded in death by his parents brother Milford Simpson daughter Vickie and son John.

Jack enjoyed participating in community affairs. He served as an elder and deacon in the Odebolt First Presbyterian Church. He had been a member of the American Legion, Odebolt Rotary Club, The Odebolt-Arthur Community School Board, Masonic Lodge, Odebolt Fire Department, and Board of Directors for Colonial Manor Nursing Home.

Jack and Joan had wintered in Mesa, AZ since retirement and enjoyed their traveling and visiting children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.


Jacques offers to teach Marge Simpson to bowl after she receives a bowling ball for her birthday. He is captivated by Marge and slowly tries to woo her. While at brunch, which Jacques explains as "not quite breakfast, not quite lunch, but you get a slice of cantaloupe at the end". Jacques finds the courage to ask Marge back to his apartment in Fiesta Terraces. Though this happens off-screen, he presumably ends up alone when Marge chooses to stick with Homer. It is unknown what happens to Jacques after this. Marge believed that his last name was "Brunswick", because it was engraved on his bowling ball yet that was really only the brand of his ball. Ώ]

He is later as a part of a bowling team called the Home Wreckers, consisting of Princess Kashmir, Mindy Simmons, and Lurleen Lumpkin. ΐ]

He appeared in The Simpsons: Tapped Out as a character exclusively for the Pin Pals mini-event, and it's his very first appearance in a Simpsons video game.

Our History

The Boys & Girls club of Franklin- Simpson first became an idea or hope in 2002 by a group of people who wanted to give young people of Franklin something to help them and to give them a place they could be themselves. On June 4 th , 2007 the Boys 7 Girls Club of Franklin-Simpson opened its doors to around 100 kids. The club is open to all kids ages 6 to 18. The membership fee is just $12 dollars for the school year and $10 dollars a week in the summer. The club had a games room that included pool tables, pink pong table, and other activities, a full-sized gym, art and crafts room, a computer lab, a learning center, and a teen center. It also provided after school homework help, programs in healthy lifestyles, citizenship, and character building.

Over the years the club has expanded in growth. Every year the club has increased average daily attendance. In 2020 the club was seeing close to 300 kids a day walk through the doors of the Boys & Girls Club. The club has helped make a positive impact on Franklin and Simpson County. With tremendous partnership with the Simpson County Schools the club has been able to help raise club members test scores and help them get to and maintain being on grade level where they should be. The schools help provide transportation to the club by dropping kids off at the front door every day after school .

The Boys & Girls Club of Franklin-Simpson continues to make an impact on the community. It has helped lower truancy rates, juvenile crime rates and family court rates. IN 2019 the club was proud to expand its building to include the Mason Goodnight Teen Center, named after the late Mason Goodnight. This teen center is a state-of-the-art center with Smart TVs, gaming systems, smartboards, and adds an additional 3500 square feet to the building. This allows for our teens to have their own space away from younger club members.

On January 6, 2020 the club expanded into the neighboring town of Scottsville, Kentucky. Partnering with the school system and other donors the Boys & Girls club of Scottsville – Allen County was opened. Located on the Allen County School campus it is very accessible to members. From opening day, membership grew to nearly 100 members per day until March.

Both clubs were thriving until Covid -19 forced us to close our doors on March 13, 2020. Faced with uncertainty the club quickly adapted by creating [email protected] virtual programming which began on March 18, 2020. Members received Outcome Driven Programming including SMART Moves (alcohol and drug resistance program), Passport to Manhood (coming of age program for young men), SMART Girls (coming of age program for young women), and Healthy Habits (healthy living program) among lots of fun STEM activities and Arts & Crafts. Trying to keep normalcy in the lives of club members, staff members spread 1500+ eggs in the yards of Club kids to find Easter morning, members also received a photo of the Easter Bunny in their yard leaving the eggs for them to find. 600 [email protected] take home kits were provided for Club members with all the supplies they would need to participate in [email protected] Virtual Programming from June 3 – July 31. 2020. 250+ books were read to youth on Facebook Live as part of our [email protected] Bedtime Story Program during our [email protected] Virtual Programming. Over 7500 meals have been delivered/served to Club members and community youth by Club staff since March 2020 through a partnership with Simpson and Allen County Schools. Club staff made over 500 phone calls and sent over 250 postcards to check on Club kids during quarantine. Staff members filmed virtual field trips for youth to experience Dinosaur World and a Nashville Safari Park.

With the decision to return to school in person utilizing a hybrid model BGCSAC reopened to youth after school on September 8, 2020. BGCFS reopened to youth on their virtual learning days beginning October 12, 2020. Each club site provided meals for their members while they were in the building. Following government guidelines, both sites returned to [email protected] Virtual Programming on November 21, 2020.With the traditional Thanksgiving meal not being an option, staff members were able to provide 10 families from Simpson & 10 families from Allen Counties with Thanksgiving food boxes. Virtual Programming continued through December and members learned how to make snowflakes, lots of Christmas Trivia, how to make elephant toothpaste, personal finance skills, lots of holiday STEM activities, and more. With sponsorship from Hunt Ford & Chrysler and Rafferty’s, BGCFS & BGCSAC were able to provide all members that had been attending in-person this fall with Christmas gifts from their wish lists.

January 2020 Both clubs were able to reopen following Covid-19 guidelines and begin to find a new normal. The Franklin site was able to open for full day programming to help members with their homework and engage in other programming activities. Scottsville site has been open for afterschool programming. The Boys & Girls clubs of Franklin-Simpson and Scottsville-Allen County are very proud of what they have accomplished since 2007 and what they will do in the future.

The People v. O.J. Simpson (2016)

Yes, but the true story behind The People v. O.J. Simpson TV show reveals that it didn't unfold exactly how it does onscreen. On the show, a neighbor immediately notices blood on Nicole's Akita's paws. In real life, Nicole Brown Simpson's Akita followed the neighbor home first. The dog then led the neighbors back to the scene where Nicole and Ron Goldman had been murdered. Listen to Mark Fuhrman describe how he believes the murders unfolded. -E! Online

Did Robert Kardashian really call Robert Shapiro to hire him to defend O.J.?

Did Johnnie Cochran initially call the case a "loser"?

No, at least not according to the real Johnnie Cochran. Portrayed by Courtney B. Vance on the TV show, the character is seen calling the case a "loser" in episode one, stating that he only takes winners. This is in Jeffrey Toobin's The Run of His Life book (which provided the basis for the show), but Cochran later denied saying it. -E! Online

Did O.J. Simpson really contemplate suicide in Kim Kardashian's bedroom?

According to Chloe Kardashian, it was in her bedroom that O.J. contemplated suicide, not her sister Kim's room. Kim would have been 14 at the time and Chloe 10. The TV show actually used the late Robert Kardashian's former home. "We actually got to shoot in Kardashian's house where all of this went down," says David Schwimmer, who portrays Robert Kardashian on the show. -The Late Late Show with James Corden

Did the Kardashian kids really chant "Kardashian, Kardashian" when their dad was reading the suicide note?

No. According to sisters Chloe and Kim Kardashian, the kids did not chant "Kardashian, Kardashian, Kardashian" as their father, Robert Kardashian, was reading O.J.'s potential suicide note (watch a video of the real Robert Kardashian reading O.J.'s suicide note). That part of The People v. O.J. Simpson TV show is pure fiction. -The Late Late Show with James Corden

Is the TV show nearly word-for-word accurate?

No. "This series is not a documentary," says author Jeffrey Toobin, who consulted on the show and wrote the book on which it was based. "It is not a word-for-word recreation. But in terms of the essential truths of the events, in terms of the insights into the characters, it is brilliant and everyone will learn a lot and be entertained a lot." -E! Online

Did O.J. and Nicole's daughter Sydney leave a tearful message on her mom's answering machine?

How long did the O.J. Simpson chase last?

In fact-checking The People v. O.J. Simpson TV show, we learned that the O.J. Simpson chase lasted approximately an hour and fifteen minutes. Like on the show, friend Al Cowlings (A.C.) was at the wheel of the white Ford Bronco, while O.J. Simpson held a gun in the back seat, threatening to kill himself.

Were there really two white Broncos?

Yes. In researching The People v. O.J. Simpson true story, we learned that like on the TV show, O.J.'s friend Al Cowlings (A.C.) bought the same car as O.J., his idol. The white Bronco seen in the chase was Cowling's, not O.J.'s white Bronco that the police found blood on. -E! Online

Did Fred Goldman tell Marcia Clark that his son became "a footnote to his own murder?"

No. Though the father of the slain Ron Goldman did make his feelings regarding the case known to the media, the exchange in Marcia Clark's office is fiction. The TV show's writers created the scene, including the remark by Fred Goldman, that his son became "a footnote to his own murder."

Was there really a hearing to decide whether the prosecution could use more than ten hairs from O.J.'s head for DNA testing?

Yes. While investigating The People v. O.J. Simpson true story, we learned that this actually did happen. A hearing was held to determine whether the prosecution could procure more than ten hairs from O.J.'s head for DNA testing. Unlike on the show, Johnnie Cochran was not yet a member of the Dream Team (he joined July 18th). -E! Online

Was Marcia Clark going through a divorce at the time?

Yes. Fact-checking The People v. O.J. Simpson revealed that Deputy District Attorney Marcia Clark filed for divorce three days before the killings. -Inside The People v. O.J. Simpson

Did Marcia Clark really tell Judge Lance Ito that she had to go home to her children?

Yes. "I just, I can't be here," an exasperated Marcia Clark told Judge Lance Ito during the trial. -Inside Edition

Did Johnnie Cochran receive death threats while defending O.J. Simpson?

Yes. According to Lawrence Schiller's book American Tragedy, the majority of the defense team received threats and were harassed.

Was Johnnie Cochran really pulled over by the police?

Yes. According to The People v. O.J. Simpson true story, this happened in 1979, not 1982. Cochran was driving his first Rolls-Royce (with his initials on the plates) down Sunset Boulevard when he was pulled over for no apparent reason. Two of his three young children were in the back seat. The officers drew their guns and told Cochran to get out of the car with his hands up. His children started crying. The officers searched his European-style purse and found his DA office badge. -The Washington Post

Did Marcia Clark cry in court?

No. On the American Crime Story TV show, Marcia Clark cries in court after just having seen tabloid photos of herself. Despite the photos really happening, the crying in court didn't. "Trial lawyers all know, you can't show anything," says the real Marcia Clark. "You have to have a poker face, and believe me, if I had cried in court, can you imagine what they would have said? Things were bad enough guys." -The View

Did Detective Mark Fuhrman own a Nazi medal?

Did Alan Dershowitz really fax messages directly to the courtroom?

Yes. The real Alan Dershowitz did fax messages directly to the L.A. courtroom while teaching at Harvard Law School in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Did Johnnie Cochran really say "n---er, please. " to Chris Darden after rebutting Darden's request to have the N-word banned from the courtroom?

Yes. According to author Jeffrey Toobin, Cochran did in fact lean over and whisper "n---er please" to Christopher Darden after Cochran annihilated Darden's argument to have the N-word stricken from the courtroom. "I was so furious with him," Cochran told TIME magazine. "I felt it was an insult to all black people." Darden had been worried that if the defense brought up Detective Mark Fuhrman's alleged use of the N-word, it would immediately turn the jury against him.

Did the defense really redecorate O.J.'s house for the jury's visit?

Yes. One might think it would have been required that O.J.'s house remain in the state it was in at the time of the murders, perhaps to be used for evidence. Surprisingly, the defense was indeed able to stage O.J. Simpson's house to emphasize to the jury that O.J. was a respectable family man. -Dateline

Did prosecutor Bill Hodgman really collapse in court?

No. On The People v. O.J. Simpson TV show, Deputy District Attorney Bill Hodgman becomes upset and collapses on the courtroom floor after Johnnie Cochran introduces witnesses that had not been disclosed to the prosecution. It is implied that he has a heart attack. In real life, Bill Hodgman never collapsed on the floor of the courtroom. He had chest pains later in the day and was taken to the hospital. The doctor concluded that it was stress-related but was not a heart attack.

Did Robert Shapiro really fiddle with the gloves and realize they'd be too small on O.J.?

Yes. Jeffrey Toobin writes in his book The Run of His Life that most of the defense lawyers were playing with the gloves. It was both Shapiro and Cochran (not just Shapiro) who observed that the extra-large gloves seemed slightly small. Like on the show, when O.J. tried the gloves on in real life, he appeared to struggle somewhat to get them on his hands. What the show doesn't reveal is that a lot of people, including legal experts and prosecutors, didn't think the gloves looked that small on O.J.'s hands. Yet, it was something that the defense embraced and ran with, leading to Johnnie Cochran's quote, "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit." In real life, the former Isotoner exec actually testified that the latex gloves Mr. Simpson wore underneath while trying them on was the reason for the snug fit. "At one point in time, those gloves would actually be, I think, large on Mr. Simpson's hands," the exec told the court. -E! Online

Did O.J.'s visitors really play poker with him in jail?

Was prosecutor Marcia Clark a rape victim?

Yes, according to her memoir Without a Doubt, she was assaulted by a waiter while vacationing in Israel with friends when she was 17.

Did the jury really deliberate for four hours?

No. According to the real Marcia Clark, the jury deliberated for two hours before coming back with a verdict, not four, meaning there was almost no deliberation. Clark says that unlike what is seen on The People v. O.J. Simpson TV show, the prosecution had no doubt that Simpson would be let off. Watch Oprah's audience react to the O.J. Simpson verdict as it's read live.

Did one of the deputies guarding O.J. really tell him the verdict?

Yes, at least in so many words. The deputy asked for O.J.'s autograph and told him that a fellow deputy on jury detail said that O.J. shouldn't be nervous. -The Run of His Life

Did Christopher Darden confront Johnnie Cochran after the verdict?

No. The People v. O.J. Simpson true story reveals that the confrontation between Darden and Cochran is more of a mash-up of real conversations than an actual event. After Cochran's win, the TV show has Darden telling him that the victory "isn't some civil-rights milestone. Police in this country will keep arresting us and beating us, keep killing us. You haven't changed anything for black people here. Unless of course you're a famous rich one in Brentwood."

Did Chris Darden really break down at the press conference after the trial?

Yes. Despite saying, "I'm not bitter, and I'm not angry," like on the show, Darden then walked away from the podium to hug the Goldmans. He later told Oprah Winfrey that his statement was a lie, saying on her show that the trial was "a mockery, a circus, a joke. It was a waste of my life. A waste of the lives of my colleagues. It was pointless."

Did TIME magazine really Photoshop O.J.'s face to make him look darker?

Yes. TIME really did use a filter on O.J.'s face for its "An American Tragedy" cover. Controversy ensued, as some insisted that it was a racist move. The then director of the NAACP, Benjamin Chavis Jr., remarked, "The way he's pictured, it' like he's some kind of animal." Jesse Jackson appeared on CNN and likened the cover to "institutional racism."

Did O.J. Simpson's son really give him a puppy as a welcome home gift after the trial?

Did O.J. deliver the statement at his Rockingham house?

No. In researching the true story behind The People v. O.J. Simpson, we learned that it was his oldest son Jason who delivered the statement, not O.J.

Did O.J. really throw the "party of the century" after he was released?

Yes. On the night of his release, the party was held at his Rockingham estate. Star magazine paid O.J. a six figure sum to photograph the party, which was reportedly a much quieter event than Simpson had originally hoped for.

Was the relationship between Marcia Clark and Chris Darden really that flirtatious?

It appears so. Despite Marcia Clark calling rumors that they hooked up "ridiculous," in his 1996 book In Contempt, Chris Darden wrote, "We sat up listening to hip-hop and R&B. We danced a few times and drank a few bottles of wine. In my mind, that is a relationship." They both have mentioned a trip to the Bay Area together, but the scene at Marcia's hotel room door when they almost kiss is more fiction than fact. Marcia then being mad that Chris didn't make a move is the show's creation as well.


Turmeric may help prevent rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis according to a study by Dr. Janet L. Funk from the University of Arizona College of Medicine. The researchers found that the curcumin extract from the turmeric root prevented a transcription factor called NF-KB from being activated in the joint. A transcription factor is a special protein that controls when genes turn on and off. When NF-KB is turned on, it causes the production of inflammatory proteins that can destroy the joint. The big pharmaceutical companies are researching drugs that will also target this NF-KB transcription process. Understanding how curcumin fights inflammation means that it may be a potential treatment for other inflammation related disorders such as asthma, multiple sclerosis, and inflammatory bowel disease, and Alzheimer&rsquos, although much research remains to be done.
In the same study, Dr. Funk showed that curcumin may help prevent bone loss due to aging or osteoporosis.

Sea Cucumber has a long history of use as food and folk medicine throughout Asian and the middle east. Rich in nutrients such as Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, and minerals including calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc. Sea cucumber has a very high protein content with a unique composition including high levels of the valuable amino acids including Glutamic acid, aspartic acid, alanine, and arginine. Sea cucumbers also have very high levels (up to 70% of body wall protein) of collagen. Collagen is a major component of healthy joint cartilage. Sea cucumber also contains essential fatty acids, including EPA and DHA, the two fatty acids responsible for many of the health benefits of Omega 3s and supplements like fish and krill oil.

The Greatest Top 40 Stations Of All Time!

Radio Ink recruited two of the best programming minds in the business, Lee Abrams and Randy Michaels, to answer this question: “What are the greatest Top 40 stations of all time?” Here’s how they stacked them up … and your lively debate, comments and disagreements on how they did.

Lee, in addition to answering the question, included what he considers to be the 15 characteristics of great Top 40 stations. Randy lists his top stations, and also details why each station he picked was great in the Top 40 format.

Radio Ink also held a three-week online poll and asked you which you believe are the best Top 40 stations of all time. Those results are at the end of this article. It was certainly an interesting assignment. Here’s how everyone stacked up against each other.

15 Characteristics of the Great Top 40 stations

  1. Production. From the drama of news to the promos to the wild tracks, production was an art form that created a theater of the mind that manufactured sonic magic.
  2. The Bible of Music. From the printed playlist to the countdowns, station-generated chart positions defined what was popular in the city.
  3. 24/7 Personalities. There were shows, not shifts, and every daypart mattered. People still talk about Charlie Greer and Denison’s Men’s Clothier, on WABC at 3 a.m.
  4. Eccentricity. From crazed night DJs to whacked promotions — parents were appalled while the new mainstream ate it up.
  5. City Sound. Unlike the generic radio of today, these stations oozed the vibe of their city they were soundtracks of the community.
  6. Anticipation. There was always something coming up.
  7. Swagger. A hard-to-define vibe that was all about confidence in everything they did.
  8. Well-Oiled Machines. Even the personality-driven stations were well-oiled machines that held the basics in high regard.
  9. Audience Respect. No bullshit. The stations delivered without needing to resort to tricks and promises.
  10. Completeness. From news and sports to sneak previews of Beatles songs, the stations were complete, with no need to tune away.
  11. Smarteners. The DJs turned you on to what was going on. The stations were hubs of local information.
  12. Graphics. They had visual identities that mirrored the on-air delivery.
  13. Technology. AM radio once sounded badass as resources were poured into signal integrity.
  14. New ideas. Every few years, “new ways” came into play. From Storz to Drake to Bennett, things evolved. It’s sad that radio is still executing a 40-year-old playbook these days.
  15. Selling new records. Especially in the mid-’60s, the great stations would make a new Herman’s Hermit record sound like the Second Coming.

And here are my picks for the 20 greatest Top 40 radio stations of all time:

  1. KHJ/Los Angeles
  2. WABC/New York
  3. WHTZ (Z100)/New York
  4. WLS/Chicago
  5. WHYI (Y100)/Miami
  6. KIIS/Los Angeles
  7. CKLW/Windsor-Detroit
  8. KCBQ/San Diego
  9. KFRC/San Francisco
  10. WFLZ/Tampa Bay
  11. KLIF/Dallas
  12. WQAM/Miami
  13. WKBW/Buffalo
  14. KFWB/Los Angeles
  15. WFIL/Philadelphia
  16. CHUM/Toronto
  17. Radio London/The North Sea
  18. WAYS/Charlotte
  19. WIXY/Cleveland
  20. WCFL/Chicago

And Now We Have Randy Michaels

This was a tough assignment. Top 20 based on what? One could consider ratings, longevity, originality, influence, or many other criteria. Some stations have been amazing at times and just awful at others. Many of the most spectacular Top 40 stations weren’t around that long. Many stations that are just average have lasted a long time. I based this list on originality and impact. These were stations worth traveling to hear. Getting it down to 20 was tough, unfair, and subjective. But here we go.

20. WTIX/New Orleans. WTIX spent its first days on the air reading the phone book to get attention. WDSU had number one afternoon show called The Top 20 on 1280. Todd Storz took the tight playlist formula from KOWH, doubled the number, and the first “Top 40” station was born. With only 250 watts way up at 1450kHz, WTIX debuted with a 50 share.

19. WKVQ (15Q)/Knoxville. It was a crazy idea. In the mid-’70s, Knoxville had a three-way AM Top 40 battle between WKGN, WNOX, and WRJZ going, while WOKI was playing the hits, sort of, on FM. A doctor’s son financed the killer Top 40 15Q until the money ran out. Suitcase Simpson, Chuck “Boo” Baron, Eddie Beacon the Swingin’ Deacon, and others have never sounded better. But the signal was awful, the staff was expensive, and 15Q failed quickly. It was worth driving 500 miles each way to hear live. I did.

18. KBOX/Dallas. Yes, I know KLIF was the first polished Top 40 station and the big station in Dallas. But KBOX was pretty amazing for having only 500 watts at night at 1480. John Box gave Gordon McLendon fits and forced KLIF to be even better. KBOX gave us Dan Ingram, Bill Ward, and many others. KBOX and the Balaban stations trained Stan Kaplan. And that news intro: With Morse code beeping in the background and plenty of slapback echo, the news opened with “From around the universe, around the world, around the nation, around Texas, around Dallas, and around the corner from your house, this is K-B-O-X news.”

17. WVAQ/Morgantown, WV. Morgantown? Have you heard it? This station has a major-market sound in a small market. WVAQ is a multiple Marconi Award winner for good reason: It sounds great. Longtime morning man Lacy Neff passing was big news last June. WVAQ is a giant in North Central West Virginia. It could compete anywhere.

16. KNUZ/Houston. With just 250 watts on 1230, KNUZ was the longtime market leader in Houston. Dave Morris was the owner/morning man. When Gordon McLendon signed on KILT with 5,000 watts down at 610, it should have been endgame, but KNUZ bested KILT for a long time. Gordon McLendon considered Dave Morris his toughest competitor.

15. WMCA/New York. Yes, WABC had more listeners and more attention. WABC was good but rarely great. WABC had 10 times more power. In the mid- and late ’60s WMCA soundly beat WABC, where the signals weren’t even close. WABC “won” by dominating the areas WMCA didn’t reach, and by raiding WMCA for talent and ideas.

14. WKTQ (13Q)/Pittsburgh. They were late in the AM game. They didn’t last long, but they were awesome. KQV had the heritage and was owned by a company that knew something about Top 40, so 13Q was instant roadkill. Buzz Bennett showing up the first day with a German shepherd — and a sledgehammer to knock the NBC logo off the lobby wall — set the tone.

13. WAKY/Lousiville. WGRC was purchased by Gordon McLendon and went Top 40 in 1958, debuting by playing “Purple People Eater” for a week. The FCC wasn’t amused, but the public was. With Johnny Randolph as PD, WAKY played one black and one country record every quarter hour. If that sounds crazy, look at the ratings. The “WAKY” shout was created by Johnny and a group of girls he met out just after the bars closed. (That’s 3 a.m. in Louisville. It was overdubbed several times. That shout is still in use at 620 AM and 103.5 FM, which use the WAKY calls today.)

12. WLS/Chicago. I like edgy Top 40 stations, and that WLS was not. WCFL was occasionally a better station. WLS was vanilla in most respects, but it was consistently excellent. That 50,000-watt night signal put everything east of the Rockies in earshot at night. WLS was the most influential station in the nation in the late ’60s and early ’70s. I know a PD in Texas who couldn’t afford research, so he just listened to WLS to see what to play. Kids all over the Midwest left their radios on 890, turned them on after school, and waited for darkness.

11. WKBW/Buffalo. WKBW went Top 40 in 1958 by stealing the PD and airstaff from WBNY, which was number one with only 250 watts. The studios were in a former carriage house with a false front to make it look taller and a mirror at the end of the long single hallway to make it look bigger when you walked in. Everything about KB was show business. When everyone in Top 40 was going to short jingles and less talk, KB hired big talent, played long jingles, and gave the jocks all the time they wanted if what they said was compelling. The equipment was ancient. All of that amazing talent spoke into a vintage RCA mic and spun records on 16-inch transcription tables, right into the 1970s. KB proved that great talent, not great equipment, make great radio.

10. WAYS/Charlotte. Stan and Sis Kaplan were fierce competitors. Stan was a sales animal, but like McLendon, Kaplan knew that advertisers spent money to reach listeners, not the other way around. Stan invested in talent and promotion. He stole and enhanced McLendon’s treasure hunts and other promotions and added a crazy outrageousness that hasn’t happened since, except maybe for the Power Pig, which owes a lot to the Kaplans. Listen to any aircheck from any era of Kaplan ownership — Jack Gale, Robert Murphy, Boo Baron, or Jay Thomas. It will be amazing.

9. KLIF/Dallas. Todd Storz had the first Top 40 station. Gordon McLendon made it theater. Top talent, memorable promotions, attention-getting advertising, over-the-top production, and a relentless focus on the listener, not the advertiser, made the McLendon stations ratings juggernauts. KLIF was the first and best. The McLendon format memos remain some of the best how-to handbooks for radio. With only a 1,000-watt night signal, KLIF routinely clocked more listeners than all other Dallas-Ft. Worth stations combined. Storz and McLendon traded PDs, air talent, and promotion ideas. Bill Drake and others refined it, but Top 40 was the child of Storz and McLendon.

8. WAPE/Jacksonville. The Brennans’ engineering genius and home-built transmitter pumped 50,000 daytime watts from Daytona to the North Carolina beaches. It was an awesome signal, but somehow they couldn’t get that hum out of the transmitter. WAPE introduced a lot of the south to Carolina Beach music. After it sold to Stan and Sis Kaplan, WAPE was just amazing. This is where the Greaseman was at his best. “Don’t get screwed, get WAPE’d!”

7. WHTZ (Z100)/New York. In 1983, right after NBC paid six figures to researchers to learn that there was absolutely no hole for Top 40 in New York, Milt Maltz paid $8.3 million for an FM in Newark that played show tunes, figured out how to move it to Empire, brought in a redneck morning man and PD (Scott Shannon, who was so not New York and went “worst to first”). History-making in so many ways, and still great today.

6. KFRC/San Francisco. Bill Drake’s KHJ was amazing and should probably be on this list. His KFRC was better. Edgier. Better production. Jocks with a bit more rope. It was the Top 40 station in San Francisco during the Summer of Love. And it had Dr. Don Rose.

5. WJET/Erie, PA. WJET dominated Erie as a daytimer on 1570 with 250 watts. After moving to 1400, still at low power, no one could touch them, and everyone tried. The founder and owner, Myron Jones, built the building and wired the studios himself. His wife did the music. He hired major-market talent and they stayed. Forever. No station was better about promoting, playing the hits, and focusing on the community. Many of the big AM Top 40 stations had FM stations. None of the big-market owners did the smart thing and moved to FM in the ’70s. Myron did, and because he had a TV station, he had to sell the AM to do it. At the time, the AM was still number one! WJET-FM debuted at number one. Pretty remarkable.

4. KCBQ/San Diego. Amazing talent, awesome production, revolutionary promotions. “The Last Contest” was born here. This is the station all of the “Super Q” imitators wanted to be. Great call letters, too. Listening to Happy Hare or Shotgun Tom or Charlie and Harrigan, you wouldn’t know the calls originally stood for “CBS Quality.”

3. CKLW/Windsor-Detroit. As “Radio 8-0” CKLW spent the early ’60s as a crappy Top 40 well behind WKNR and WXYZ. It exploded in 1967 with the Drake format. No one, ever, anywhere, did the basics better than the Big 8. With separate board ops for the jocks and the newsroom, intro times to the quarter second, including commercials, no station was ever tighter. The Drake stations all had “Kanner Boxes,” but Ed Butterbaugh’s setup, 50,000 watts, and lax Canadian rules on positive modulation made CKLW jump out of radios in a dozen U.S. markets all day long, and made the programming sound even better. The glory days of CKLW were only five years long, but the Big 8’s influence reverberates today.

2. WYHY (Y107)/Nashville. Maybe I’m biased, but it’s my list. This is my favorite Top 40. Marc Chase made more noise at WFLZ and WEBN, but this was his best work. Marc took “The Outrageous FM” to a 17 share, 500,000 cume in a market of less than a million at the time. The Power Pig was more outrageous, but Y107 was a better station. When Metro Traffic came to Nashville, Marc put a Dumpster in the station parking lot and asked listeners to donate scrap metal so Y107 could buy a plane. That’s how a Top 40 station owned the traffic image. Scott Shannon and other PDs stole from Y107 every time they came to Film House to cut a TV spot. “Lock it in and rip the knob off.”

1. KIIS/Los Angeles. Other stations have been more outrageous, more groundbreaking, or more entertaining, but KIIS is the most influential Top 40 station. Chuck Blore used the name on the AM, 1150: KIIS=K115. But it’s been copied around the world just because it’s KIIS/Los Angeles. Few stations have been able to achieve consistent success in ratings, and the conversion of ratings to revenue and cash flow, like KIIS. None in major markets. KHJ lasted about 10 years. KIIS is going on 40.

I apologize to all those I left out.

Readers’ Top 10 Top 40s.
We held a three-week online poll asking readers what they think are or were the best Top 40s, and here are the results:

Watch the video: Jock OHazeldean (May 2022).


  1. Rod

    I mean, you allow the mistake.

  2. Timon

    I can recommend that you visit a site that has a lot of information on the subject that interests you.

  3. Goddard

    I recommend you to visit the website with a huge number of articles on the topic of interest to you.

  4. Huldiberaht

    What necessary phrase... super, magnificent idea

  5. Samuramar

    I congratulate, what necessary words..., a magnificent idea

Write a message